This past Thursday night I was snooping, um, I mean, EXPLORING on the counter top and discovered that Mom had forgotten to put away her lunch bag. Her lunch bag is a paper bag from a shoe store and it has handles on it. She re-uses it everyday and ALWAYS puts it away when she gets home from work. However, she was not feeling well on Thursday when she got home so she forgot to put it away. I bet you can guess what happened next. YEP, the handles got stuck around my neck. I jumped off the counter and went running at top speed through the house with the BAG MONSTER chasing me. I scared the heck out of Andrés*, you know, Raymond (he ran and hid under the bed) and I scared the heck out of my Moms too!
They jumped out of bed and managed to catch me and get the bag off my neck. I was FREAKED out! In my haste I broke one of my claws and was bleeding a little bit. (Thank goodness they had trimmed my claws the night before, I never thought I would be GLAD my nails had been trimmed!) They sat with me and calmed me down and even gave me some catnip. (which helped a lot!) The lunch bag was pretty much destroyed and went into the recycle bin. Mom felt just horrible! It's taken Raymond and I a couple days to get back to normal. All weekend we kept looking around for that BAG MONSTER.
I guess the lesson from this incident is that even if your humans are really good at taking care of you, and are very careful about your surroundings, sometimes accidents can still happen. My Moms have decided to take a Pet First Aid course at the American Red Cross. They offer the classes once a month at our local chapter, and maybe at YOUR local chapter too.
Meanwhile, watch out for those bag handles! They have been banned from our house!
*Ray wants me to call him Andrés all week. It's a World Cup thing.